Friday, June 19, 2015

Think--don't yank that plug!


And so we had a bit of toaster mishap recently.

Okay, not WE -- I had a bit of a toaster mishap recently.  I usually have green (*shudder*) juice for breakfast, but yesterday I was in a hurry.  (Green juice takes between 15-20 minutes to make.  A nuked egg and a slice of toast takes about two minutes.)

I have an elderly toaster. I don't consider a 58 old for a person, but let's face it, it's old for a toaster.  I bought my toaster in West LA more than 30 years ago and it has been a trusted friend ever since.  How do I know the toaster is 58 years old? Because the first owner wrote the date they bought it on the bottom. It's a Sunbeam, and isn't it a beauty?

Of course, like the rest of us--it's had it's little problems. The cord has been replaced, and the plug has been replaced more than once.  In fact, the current plug is REALLY snug in the wall socket.  It takes quiet a bit of tugging to get it out.

Okay, so I was in a hurry. The last slice of bread in the bag was a little bent, but what the heck--I put it in the first slot. You'll notice there no little lever. Nope, my Sunbeam has a little thingy INSIDE the toaster that senses toast and gently takes it down into the depths to bask in the heat of the glowing elements. After 58 years, my toaster is a little temperamental. You kinda have to watch it.  But I was nuking my egg,and kind of forgot. Next thing I know, the kitchen is filling with smoke from my charred toast.  So ... I yanked the plug. Only ... the plug stayed in the socked, and I held the cord in my hand.

Mr. L was not a happy camper. (He's the one who gets to fix the Sunbeam when I have a faux pas.)

I was out most of the day and came home to find this sign over the wall socket.


Yeah. I want toast.

What hoops do you have to jump through to get toast?

No comments:

Post a Comment