Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Teacup Tuesday: A Valentine Tea

Today's teacup is a from my from my set of "good" china. I used it just last week. Every Valentine's Day, Mr. L and I have an afternoon tea. It's called Silver Maple by Royal Albert.

 

 Last week on the blogger version of this blog, Loveamystery asked for a good scone recipe.  Here's one I like and I included it in my cookbook, Recipes To Die For.

WALNUT SCONES
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, cold
¾ cup milk
1 egg
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped*
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold water
¼ raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Sift the dry ingredients together. Using a pastry blender (or a fork), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Beat the milk and egg together. Pour into the dry ingredients, stirring until a dough forms. Add the chopped nuts, combining well. You can use an ice cream scoop to form the scones and place them on an aluminum (or parchment paper) lined baking sheet, or pat the dough into a circle and score with a knife.* Beat the egg yolk with the cold water. Using a pastry brush, glaze each scone with this mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold. (Hot is better! *You can substitute pecans or any other nut you prefer. Pistachios make an interesting scone.)

Yield: 10-12 scones.

(*BTW, I use a scone pan that makes perfect wedge-shaped scones.)

Here's what this year's tea looked like.  (And no, we weren't able to eat it all.  We love leftovers!) Isn't my Valentine orchid gorgeous?



 ~~ And now for the giveaway! ~~


Today's teacup is called Duchess, and isn't it pretty?

How can you win it?  By sending an email to me at contest @ LornaBarrett .com and leaving a tea time memory you wouldn't mind sharing (I won't use last names) with everyone on the blog.  I'll pick a name at random.

But wait! There's more! Betsy Bean from Latteda.com will send a free sample of Boneyard tea to another lucky winner every week.  But you can't win if you don't sign up.

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful teacup! What does the scone pan look like? I must have one! Winners of your contest can email me at lattedavotion@yahoo.com and put TEACUP TUESDAY in the subject line.

    Betsy Bean
    www.latteda.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, click the link in the post that says Scone Pan and it'll take you to a picture. I love it. They come out perfect every time. (Or here's the link you'll have to copy paste: http://tinyurl.com/o3mb8og )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous recipe and a spectacular cup & saucer. I smiled just looking at the lovely yellow blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cup and saucer. They look so spring like. Will try the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scones... they are great when you don't want something too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. L is very fond of this one.

      Delete
  6. The cup and saucer are so pretty. I would love to win this for my daughter-in-law who collects these. Thanks. I love scones anytime, especially with some peaches in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I entered. A lovely daffodil cup and I only wish I could see a live one under the snow! Thank you for the scone recipe - ask and you shall receive :) should I try that with a request for girls day on a beach with tea! I have all the ingredient and with more snow to fall I think I may just make some scones! If it adds to my waist, I'll be visiting you. :) I spent the weekend at two different antique malls and thought of the girls on here. Saw so many different teacups. I was trying to picture the one you lost, you will have to describe it to us. I've also decided to collect (hey I collect everything) vintage playing cards. When I was young I remember playing Canasta, Pinochle, Bridge and Gin. Like teacups there were so many different decks with beautiful fronts! The things we do. :) Have a cup of tea and a toast to all the cozy readers and writers who feed us with word and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason my son's name came up when I published my reply. Ahh having children who swipe your computer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty tea cup, and thank you for the scone recipe it looks yummy. Your valentine orchid is beautiful, I have a couple orchids but they are shades of purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have two yellow orchids, one white, one purple and I'm not sure what the other one is because it's been so long since it bloomed and I lost one earlier this year. Three of the older ones are getting ready to bloom. I will share pictures when it happens.

      Delete
    2. I had one that took 3 years before it bloomed, I moved it to my lucky window and its bloomed twice now. The window in this house we've moved to has been the best for growing plants, I'm thinking maybe I should enlarge it, LOL.

      Delete
  10. Oops, forgot the teatime memory. When I was a little girl, my mother would have tea with me. She would give me a cup more than half filled with milk. She called it "Camebrick Tea." I'm probably spelling that wrong because, I was just a little girl. I've always had my tea with milk and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm 79 and when I was little, a friend of my mothers,whose Mother came out from New York to visit drank tea. She used to turn the empty cup over and read the tea leaves. I remember being in awe. RUTH NIXON

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess my favorite tea time memory was from high school. I would go with my friend Janet with her to her house after school. She lived near the high school so we wound up at her house instead of mine. Whenever we had a particularly challenging day, her mom would make us both tea and we'd all talk about it. Every time I drink tea I think of Mrs. Richards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no teatime memories. I have always had tea - when I was younger it was tea in the morning and coffee in the afternoon, now it's reversed. Lovely cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I wanted to drink tea because of reading English mysteries.

    ReplyDelete